Monday, January 5, 2009

Beauty Is What We Make Of It

This time of year in West Virginia is brown, cold, snowy and usually cloudy. When we left last weekend traveling south the skies were blue, the sun was bright, and it was by all means a beautiful January day. I pulled my camera out to take a few shots from the window of the car. The battery in my camera was DEAD.

As we crossed Laked Norman in NC the sunset was absolutely gorgeous. Remember, the battery in camera is dead. I have the worst luck with cameras. We arrived in Greenville after dark, unloaded our luggage, and I remembered, I had my old camera with me, it was in the trunk with a fully charged battery. I missed the sunsets, blue skies and sunny mountain tops. All I have are the memories in my mind. And who knows how long they will last. It's also harder to share a mental picture than a photograph. One more missed opportunity.

Even thought the trees are brown and the skies are cloudy on Saturday in Greenville it is a beautiful day. We walked Liberty Bridge and I snapped a few shots. It is apparent Greenville is still suffering the effects of last year's drought. The water level is very low.

When we left WV on Sunday heading to VA the sun decided to stay behind clouds but the temperature was 60 degrees (that's very warm January weather). I snapped this shot from the car window as we traveled I77 in WV, a little farm and big mountains, so typical in WV. I often forget how beautiful the landscape is in WV. When you live here you forget to stop and smell the roses. Even though the trees have lost their leaves and the grass is brown you can still see the beauty of the rose, if you open your eyes and look, past the thorns.
"God gave us our memories so that we might have roses in December." - J. M. Barrie

No comments: