Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bread...Quick and Easy...

In Five Minutes a Day! I've had friends and co-workers ask how do you make bread without any butter, sugar, or eggs? So I decided to post a few pictures of my process.

First you need (have) to purchase the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day.



Then you need a few supplies, a pizza peel, large bucket (non metallic), oven stone or pizza stone, and good accurate measuring utensils. I purchased my supplies at King Arthur
First mix together in the large bucket 3 cups of warm tap water, 1 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, and 6 1/2 cups unbleached, all natural, flour. The photo is actually after the dough has been in the refrigerator for a few days and this is my second batch of bread from this bucket. You can usually get three small loaves of bread from one batch of dough.

Let rise in bucket until the center starts to fall in - 2 to 4 hours depending on climate and room temperature.


Place bucket in refrigerator to use as needed for fresh bread.

When you are ready to make bread......flour your hands and the top of the dough and pull off a grapefruit size ball of dough.

Place the dough ball on the pizza peel that is lightly covered with corn meal.



Allow the dough ball to rest for 40 minutes. Twenty minutes before baking preheat your over to 450 degrees with the oven stone in the oven.


Sprinkle the dough ball with flour and cut three slashed in the top of the dough ball. I took the photo before I cut the slashes in the dough.


Carefully slide the dough ball off the pizza peel onto the hot oven stone. Place a pan of water on the bottom oven rack. Bake the bread for about 35 minutes.


Sorry about the pizza stone looking so bad, you can see it really gets good use....the black is stains not dirt. I have a new one but it is much larger and very heavy. I did not use it when I made this batch of bread. I'm probably going to take this stone to the RV and use it on the grill to make bread this summer when we are camping. YES you can make bread on the grill. Great pizza bread too. Why heat up your house in the summer to make good bread in the oven.


This is only a brief of how to make bread in five minutes per day. You really need to purchase the book if you want to make perfect bread. The instructions in the book are in great detail.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Can I have mine with peanutbutter? LOL

I have that book and have yet to use it. Maybe it's high time I pulled it out.