Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pumpkin and Pears: Fruits of the Fall

I canned pears a few weeks ago. They turned out great. This was the first time I canned pears, ever. Pears were on sales last month and I bought 5 grocery bags full. This is all the quarts I got from the 5 bags. I opened a jar tonight...their much better than Del Monte. If I find pears on sale again this winter I'll can more.

I also canned pumpkin when I found pumpkins on sale a few weeks ago. I've canned it before. I always sweeten my pumpkin and then when I use the pumpkin I do not add sugar. It is not recommended by the USDA Extension Service to can pumpkin: http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-P.html but I plan on using these jars of pumpkin before they spoil and adding the sugar will help preserve the pumpkin.

I made pumpkin dip weekend before last and shared it with my camping friends, we dipped vanilla wafers in the dip. It was different and tasted like a pumpkin cheese cake. Very simple to make.

Pumpkin Dip

Ingredients

1 can sweetened pumpkin

2 packages cream cheese

1/3 cup sour cream

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

Soften cream cheese in microwave and stir in remaining ingredients, refrigerate for about 2 hours and serve with vanilla wafers for dipping.

No comments: